Sweet Potato Lasagna
Sweet Potato Lasagna
Serves: 1 9x13-inch lasagna
- 1 cup cashews
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 lbs. white-fleshed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups leeks
- 12 oz button mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 1 bunch spinach
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 cup red onions
- 2 6oz. cans tomato paste
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 lb. rice lasagna noodles
- ~To make the cashew cheese~ Place the cashews in a small bowl and add at least 1 cup water. Set aside to soak until softened, 1 to 2 hours.
- Drain the cashews and place them in a blender with the nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp lime juice, garlic powder, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and ¾ cup water. Blend until the mixture is smooth and has the consistency of cream cheese.
- Transfer the cashew cheese to a pastry bag, a resealable bag, or a squeeze bottle, and set aside.
- ~To make the sweet potato filling~ Place a steamer basket insert in a saucepan filled with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer, and add the sweet potatoes. Cover the pan and steam until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl.
- Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes. Add 1 tbsp lime juice and salt to taste, and mix well. Set aside.
- ~To make the sautéed greens~ Combine the leeks and ¼ cup water in a sauté pan. Cover and cook over low heat until the leeks are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, 2 cloves garlic, and salt to taste. Cook, covered, over medium heat, until the mushrooms are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the Swiss chard and the spinach, and cook, uncovered, until the greens are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- ~To make the tomato sauce~ Combine the tomatoes, onion, tomato paste, dates, 2 cloves garlic, and 1 cup water in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan, and add the oregano, basil, pepper, a generous pinch of salt, and 2 cups water. Cook over medium heat for 40 minutes. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package. Drain thoroughly. Spread out the noodles on a wire rack or a towel, making sure they do not overlap. Let cool.
- ~To assemble the lasagna~ Spread 1 ½ cups of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 9 × 13-inch baking pan that is at least 2 inches deep. Arrange a layer of 4 lasagna noodles on top, slightly overlapping each of them.
- Top with half of the mashed sweet potatoes, then another layer of 4 noodles. Spread all of the sautéed greens on top. Pipe half of the cashew cheese on top of the greens (if it is in a resealable bag, just snip off one corner).
- Arrange a layer of 4 pasta noodles on top of the cheese. Spread half of the remaining tomato sauce over the pasta. Spread the remaining sweet potatoes on top.
- Arrange the last layer of pasta atop the sweet potatoes. Spread the remaining tomato sauce on top. Pipe the remaining cheese over the sauce in a fun zigzag or swirling pattern.
- Bake until the cheese on top is lightly browned and the sauce is bubbling along the sides of the pan, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot.
Ready to get started?Book an appointment